The goals of the Municipal Operations element are to maximize the removal of pollutants while sweeping streets, cleaning storm drain inlets/basins, and conducting other routine municipal maintenance activities; and to minimize non-stormwater discharges to storm drains and watercourses from maintenance-related activities.
Co-permittees implement Best Management Practices which address reducing or eliminating water quality impacts of the following operations and maintenance activities conducted by agency staff:
- Street and road repair and maintenance,
- Sidewalk/plaza maintenance and pavement washing,
- Bridge and structure maintenance and graffiti removal,
- Stormwater pump stations,
- Rural public works construction and maintenance, and
- Corporation yards
Best management practices and control measures are incorporated into standard operating procedures for municipal operations. Training plays a major role in ensuring that agency staff uses proper techniques during the course of their duties.